Monday, October 22, 2012

Midterm Evaluation


I read and reviewed my non-fiction literary work, Niche Envy.  Despite the book’s forlorn sense of hope and overly paranoid tones, I truly enjoyed it.  It directly applied to my life and current studies in advertising.  My fictional literary work, Jurassic Park, has also aided in my understanding of digital culture.  Particularly, it has been highly interesting to see how scientists ran into problems with creating dinosaurs they could have never imagined, just as no one could ever imagine the consequences of the internet (the long tail, trolling, Pedibear, etc.).

            The self-directed learning process of this class has been a love-hate relationship.  The unstructured shape it takes has constantly frustrated me.  I feel like I’m in a constant state of panic because there’s always some project, book, or assignment  looming in the corners and the moment I finally get the hang of it, something new comes up.  But at the end of the day, I look at all the new things I’ve learned and realize I am making progress.

            The social proof other students have provided in blogs, class, and our main project has been highly valuable to understanding how digital culture works with a community.  It’s been interesting to see how our project group functions since each person has very different ideas and styles.  Since many English classes only require individual work, our group does not have set roles I’m use to in my advertising classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment