Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Raptors of Digital Culture




Jurassic Park scared me so bad as a child, even Barney would put me in screaming fits.  Raptors with 6 inch claws and goats being mutilated isn’t the best mixture for a bed time story.  It seemed like the worst thing to choose to reopen the nightmares of my childhood.  But after spending two hours at Barnes and Noble shifting through rows and rows of fiction and science fiction all the while surrounded by highly unsanitized mole people pouring over anime books, Jurassic Park didn’t seem so bad.  When my fingers thumbed over its cover page, I decided “that’ll do, pig.  That’ll do.”  What do dinosaurs and Digital Culture have to do with each other?  I’ll say everything, but I’m a pathological liar.  Think about it though, first of all, the dinosaurs were created by machines.  Well, we created the machines that created the dinosaurs.  Just like we created the machines that created digital culture.  And just like dinosaurs tearing lawyers in half… well digital culture doesn’t do that, but we can always hope one day.  Still, the connections are potentially endless, thus my decision to read Michael Criton’s Jurassic Park.

1 comment:

  1. I love all of Michael Crichton's books. Jurassic Park has a lot of technical parts about the DNA coding. I remember reading it around 1996 and saying to myself, "Well, I saw the movie part about this computer stuff so I'm going to skip it." If you haven't already read them, I would recommend Next and Prey by him also and of course The Lost World novel is very different and very superior to the movie.

    ReplyDelete