Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Facebook Kills Facebook

If you haven’t done this, go ahead.  Try it.  Just take the Lollipop. 


     Did you do it?  You’re horrified aren’t you.  If you’re not a little freaked out, something’s wrong with you.  No one should enjoy being virtually stalked by Igor in a wife-beater.  Feel like swearing off Facebook til the bad taste in your mouth goes away?  Isn’t it bizarre that this Facebook app is actually being used to discourage Facebook.  Today’s culture is split in two different social pressures.  One sees Facebook as a pop culture icon.  People expect you to have a Facebook, to add them as friends and post half-hearted messages on their wall.  The other half sees Facebook as a waste of time and a privacy infraction.  No one wants to seem like the kid that spends all day on the computer refreshing the page in hopes someone cares.  These conflicting pressures come out in the form of creations used by Facebook to destroy Facebook.  Burger King’s social media campaign used Facebook to encourage members to actually delete friends in order to get free Whoopers.  Eventually Facebook declared the campaign was using social media to kill social media and forced it to be pulled.  The son kills the father, Freud was right yet again.


1 comment:

  1. I always feel that pressure. I have 155 friends on FB and very few of them are very close friends in real life. I update once a month but some of my friends update daily (some hourly). As a result I feel more like a stalker than a stalkee. I usually find myself not remembering information about other people when I interact with them in the real world so they aren't creeped out. I just want to tell them, "I know you were in California last week because I only have 155 friends and you post all the time." But I don't, instead I'll totally act like I check FB once a month because I think that makes me cooler. Great post! I hope you explore this issue more, I think it is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete