Saturday, September 15, 2012

We’ve all got Plastic Surgery in Digi-cult



I’ve made some bold claims in presenting this blog.  You don’t like being called fake.  You shouldn’t.  Fake is bad.  Fake is like Michael Jackson change my skin color and hang my baby off a balcony.  And maybe you’re not fake, but you’re definitely not telling the whole truth.  Try changing your profile picture  to a red-eyed, sleep-deprived, and emotionally edgy college student.  Of course that’d be ridiculous.  My employer sees my Facebook, my ex-girlfriend might check on it, my mother has no idea I stay up all night watching Arrested Development and talking with my roommates.  Officially, this is called Identity management Theory.  Basically, we all try to present ourselves in the best light.  We show ourselves like we want others to see us.  I want people to think I’m funny and creative, so I photoshopped a ridiculously large fish into my profile pic.  Professor Gideon wants to be seen as an intelligent different than your normal pulpit-pounding lecture stiffs.  Hence the reason for the out-of-focus books and his unorthodox not-looking-at-the-camera pose.  We all create our own story online.  The real question is, so what? 

1 comment:

  1. This is great. I'm so glad we're both talking about identity. I look forward to reading your blog more! It is so easy to call people fake, but is there a true definition of fake, or is it just relative? I'm pretty sure it is just relative.

    ReplyDelete